Friday, June 18, 2010

Looking Back and Moving Forward

I cannot believe how quickly the past two weeks have gone. Our team saw God work in so many amazing ways during our stay in Cape Town... At this point, it is too much to write on here, but I'm looking forward to sharing all the stories with you when I'm home. Here are a few highlights...
From the tourist side: African Safari
I was five feet away from the elephant when I took the picture below... we spent a whole day at a game park...I saw lions, giraffes, hippos, elephants, zebras, and many more animals closer than I ever thought I would. It was incredible to be in such a beautiful place and see some of the most beautiful animals I've ever seen. 
World Cup Match- Italy vs. Paraguay

If you think the SuperBowl is a big deal...think again. America needs to get some vuvuzelas and catch the soccer fever that has infected the rest of the world. 
Our whole team was more than excited to be going to South Africa during the World Cup, but I don't think any of us truly had an idea how huge of an event it is, until we arrived. I still cannot believe we had the chance to go to a game. SO FUN. 
OUTREACH:
The ministry end of our trip far outweighed the beauty of Cape Town and even going to the game... As a team, we played 4 matches in 5 days and then participated in a 7 aside tournament last Sunday. Sharing our testimonies with the other teams, on and off the field, was a really important part of our trip. It was so cool to see God work in and through our team, showing us what it means to worship Him on the field and how to be bold in sharing out faith with other teams. 
We also had the chance to coach multiple soccer clinic
s... At a church, in an Afrikaans area, in a Xhosa speaking community, and in a rural farming community. These clinics were probably my favorite part of the trip. Watching the kids play and find so much joy in the sport I love, and at the same time providing a way to hear about who Jesus is... I cannot think of a better combination :) I'd love to share more with you about this on my return. 
Onto OM
Last night, I flew into J0'burg and met up with Operation Mobilization, the mission
 organization I will be spending the rest of this South African winter with. It was so exciting to finally arrive, but even after two weeks in South Africa, I still went to get into the wrong side of the car when leaving the airport. 
I was greeted by Herman and his wife Belinda, who I'm staying with (at least for right now). They made me feel right at home, and I'm already encouraged by them and the rest of the OM staff. 
I'm still unsure of what exactly I'll be doing for the next five weeks, but I'm realizing that I don't need to. Whatever they need me to do, wherever they need me to be... that's where I'll go.
 
This morning, I attended an all-staff Update and Prayer Meeting, then travelled to Durban shortly afterwards with a German couple, Ben and Anna. We went to go check on one of OM's outreach teams in a rural Durban community. I met the group of 8 people from around the world have been staying in the squatter village to share the Gospel, alongside a church in the area for the past 2 weeks. Although we only visited them for about an hour, it was amazing to see their love for God and the people in the village. My role today was to take pictures and get stories from the outreach. I loved talking to the group and getting to meet some of the kids.

The team has been running soccer clinics in the afternoon. Each day they have a session, the number of kids partcipating grows.
Today the children watched the Jesus film...many for the first time. Afterwards, two of the girls led singing and then the kids were free to play.

 I'm so excited for the rest of this winter. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Awesome Awesome. God is good. Keep seeing where and how far he can and will take you!!

    ReplyDelete